Monday, July 7, 2014

Monday Random Thoughts

- My druid finished its legendary quest line this week.

- As my first character to finish it that I can say was over geared for it at 558 it was a push over.

- Firstly the tank challenge is a joke compared to all the others.

- Secondly with the gear I had I was able to just blow it up.

- Stand in bad, not worry about interrupts, just taunt so it does kill our little whelp friend.

- I killed it before it even switched phases.

- That makes 6 capes.

- I think, I lost track.

- Could be 7.

- Two hunters, a priest, a rogue, a monk, a mage and a druid.

- Yeap, 7.

- I have 2 characters collecting runestones.

- Both had horrible luck this week.

- An alliance hunter and a horde hunter.

- Which will give me 4 hunters with the cape.

- As a damage dealer I would say the legendary is required.

- And I like to play hunters, if you had not guessed, so I have to get it on all of them.

- One hunter managed to collect a whole 2 runestones this week.

- Oh joy.

- The other was super lucky.

- It got 3 runestones.

- Oh double joy.

- Was kind of a surprise to see the double valor buff pop up while I was in the middle of a LFR.

- Can't say I was not happy to see it, I was.

- I agree with what I heard some people suggest.

- With the long wait they should just make double valor and the gaze buff permanent until warlords is released.

- It would keep me playing.

- Maybe.

- I still play too much but that is because I still feel there is something to do.

- Once I run out of things to do, I will start looking for other things to pass my time.

- Want to gear up my lock some so I can get that achievement and title.

- Figure I will just get to the point I can brute force it.

- Like my bear did with the legendary one.

- Just stand in one spot and pew pew.

- Could not manage it the one time I tried it because I was not well versed in the lock toolbox.

- I figured I would come back when I had more gear.

- So that is still a goal to keep me playing.

- I think I might have given up completely with trying to get the legendary on all classes.

- Just can not bring myself to do them with my warrior or my paladin.

- Or my DK for that matter but I did venture into a few LFRs this weekend.

- I needed 8 more sigils on it.

- Yeah, it has been a while since I played it.

- Only did the two SoO ones and got 3 sigils on 8 bosses.

- Not really going to move along all that fast with drop rates like that one a character I rarely play.

- But I was bored so I figured why not.

- I do not play frost normally but I will not tank the LFR.

- I just have some skills on my bars, one macro, and hit whatever was available while mixing in the small cooldowns like horn and pillar.

- Not exactly the recipe for success.

- I know I could do so much better.

- But I was just tagging along with a friend that did not want to go it alone, I had not put much thought into it.

- With my tanking set on, not really done up at all so no enchants or gems, which was good because they would most likely be wasted anyway as they would be for tanking, and with 2 tank trinkets, I managed to do okay.

- Over 100K on most fights and around 90K when I didn't which if you do LFR is really god mode in some of them.

- Was usually 6th in damage done on the 8 bosses I did.  Sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower, but 6th seems to be average.

- I guess that is the power of the gear I have even if it is the wrong gear and the lack of ability of everyone in there to make my lack of ability, and lack of DPS trinkets, less noticeable.

- Maybe, just maybe, if I ever decide to tank I might drag my warrior or paladin through there.

- It is not like I can not take the heat, I can even if I do not like it.

- It is not like I don't know how to tank, I have tanked every boss in this expansion at least at the normal level and some on heroic.

- I just do not like tanking the LFR.

- I just can not bring myself to go in as DPS and fake it either on those characters.

- Not only because I would need to get a two hander first but because if I can not do what in my mind is reasonable I won't do it.

- Oddly enough I still think I am not ready to tank them even if I tanked all the bosses they would be be doing on other classes but because I do not think I can take the damage with LFR skilled healers backing me up.

- Can't count on there being a decent healer there.

- And I am sitting over 700K on my warrior and over 600K on my paladin without doing up my gear and I know how to play the classes.

- It amazes me when I see people with 450K life and no idea how to tank queue up as tank.

- I understand the desire to grab the quick queue and all but as a tank you can not just blend in.

- You are front and center, you will get noticed.

- It is not like my faking it on my DK where even if not 6th I could have been 12th and no one would notice I was DPSing in tank gear.

- As a tank you get noticed.

- Had a bear in one run with 523K life.

- I knew we were in trouble as soon as he zoned in.

- He was wearing a 424 weapon too.

- If you plan to tank a SoO LFR at least go get yourself the timeless island weapon.

- Or how about running the first tier or ToT ones and getting a weapon.

- Yes, I understand that SoO drops better gear, but you can not get away with that as a tank.

- If you were kitty with a 424 weapon and doing dreadful damage you might not get noticed.

- But when you are a tank and going down in 2 hits at most every other second and can't hold aggro even with the 500% treat buff people will look at your gear.

- And seeing your suspect weapon combined with your suspect skills will get you called out.

- It was not about the weapon however, he could have done fine.

- My bear was using a weapon from MV that I got when we first started raiding this expansion until recently when I got one in SoO.

- I actually tanked all the way to garrosh with that 489 weapon before I got lucky and got a new one.

- And I tanked ToT a hell of a lot, one just never dropped.

- It is about skill.

- Every time I think about a tank going down like that I get this picture in my head of samual jackson from pulp fiction yelling "Cooldowns mother f*cker, do you use them?"

- We can so use an image that shows that.

- I swear it always goes through my mind.

- Can't judge a book my its cover.

- Here are two short stories that prove that.

- Was running a few runs with a friend that is more grumpy than I, so much so he makes me sound like the happy elf.

- Doing LFR so much will turn anyone sour.

- We get into SoO 1 LFR and there is a tank with 530K life and my friend is healing.

- He sees that and starts complaining about low life total tanks.

- After the first two trash pulls I tell him the tank is fine.

- He said, you are not the one that will have to heal him.

- Being I tank I can tell a lot about a tank by the way they pull, after seeing the first two pulls I was sure this was a skilled tank on an alt.

- My friend bitched and complained over and over until we reached the boss about these low life tanks coming into SoO.

- I agree with him, but this was not this guys case.

- When the run was over I asked him how was that tank to heal.

- He said, I would have never noticed he had only 500K life.

- See, told you, he was a good tank.

- So next we move into SoO 2 and we get this DK tank that is sitting at 960K.

- He says, this should be easy.

- I said, don't count on it.

- I know DKs all too well and 960K life means nothing if they can not hit their 4 button at the right time.

- Well, it is the 4 button for me.

- On trash DK goes down, get up and goes down again, gets up once more and goes down again, gets up again and goes down once more.

- The other tank was a lower life, but not low low, tank and they both bit the dust on the trash.

- We managed to down the pack they pulled without them, which was not an over pull at all.

- I said, we got us two winners here.

- Moral of the story, don't judge a book by its cover.

- Just looking at the life the 500K tank vs the 900K tank you would think the 900K one was better and you would be wrong.

- The 500K tank barely needed healing and the 900K tank was a mana sponge.

- See what someone can do, then make a decision, do not just judge a tank based on their life total.

- Gear is potential, gear does not tell anyone about the skill of the players.

- Ran with a fully, and I mean fully heroic geared player, in a flex, guess they were there for fun.

- Two people in my guild, on alts, beat them.

- Makes you wonder how that person got that gear.

- Then again, luck is a huge factor, who you know is an even bigger one, and there is always the social matter.

- My horde hunter does not even have the legendary cape yet and it is wearing heroic gear.

- Because I managed to get into a run and won a few things, not because my horde hunter has a history on that server, or is well geared already.

-  So I have a character that is not even 560 with a few pieces of heroic gear and 2 hunters well over 570 with none.

- I downloaded wildstar this weekend being I had a three day weekend.

- I figured I would give it a try and see how I liked it when I had some extra play time.

- I plan to make a post about it later so will not dwell much here on it.

- But I will say I like it.

- And I will say I have absolutely zero intention of raiding on it.

- Don't get me wrong, love old school, love attunements, but  I was not there at the start and everyone is ahead of me and I do not have the desire to play "catch up" on a game that I might only play once in a while.

- Looking at it from the outside it seems if I ever did decide to play it, wildstar would need to be my main gain and warcraft would be my weekend game, not the other way around.

- Warcraft has spoiled us with bite sized content.

- Not even questing is bite sized in wildstar.

- More on that later, we will just leave it at, I like the game so far.

- Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. I finished the legendary cloak on my warlock this week. I was a little worried while finishing runestones when he ended up in the top 3 @150-200k for every fight in the Vale after struggling to break 100k the week before without any noticeable upgrades. He must have hit a gear breakpoint, or I hit a skill breakpoint. My only regret is not respeccing demonology and doing the tank challenge.

    Working the healer shammy through the legendary chain, I now know the pain of the pvp portion for alliance. As an undergeared pve healer, I felt completely useless, not even a good speedbump. I finally got SilverShard after 12 losses. Grinding out some secrets after finishing that phase, I was surprised how well he healed on some fights without gems or enchants. The 569 heirloom mace helps quite a bit, even if it only took him up to 520 overall. The biggest shock was hitting 160k hps on Norushen.

    While running those LFRs on the shamalama with a friend who boosted a spacegoat pally as his first alliance toon (3rd pally tank), we ran into one of those bad weapon tanks. He was fully geared up in Ordos/burden/LFR gear, with a 522 pvp shield and 450 mace from the Arena scenario quest. My only thought was "RNG has a sense of humor."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how that works sometimes. You hit a certain gear level and you go from feeling underpowered to over powered nearly instantly. I've noticed that on many characters. One of my hunters hit that break point recently. I was doing between 120 and 150 and won a couple of new pieces. After I put them on I was doing 200 no problem and even capped out at 230 on one fight. It was as if putting on those few pieces magically made my character more powerful. Goes to show the problem with stats inflation on gear, it means so much.

      I need to start working on my shaman. Made it past the PvP part and it is just sitting there. Perhaps on my next wave of character I bring through when I am in the mood my shaman might make the cut. 160K is sick at that item level. I am sitting at 530 on mine and I can push 130 at best maybe. Nice healing.

      RNG does have a sense of humor. Like I said with my druid. I was using that 489 weapon I got out of MV early in the expansion until just recently, and that includes a hell of a lot of boss kills in between with no weapon. I really wish blizzard would stop with this stupid random drop BS and just let us earn our gear instead.

      Delete